Method Writing The B-Side:
Pres-requisite: you must have taken at least the first two regular classes.
There are five basic levels to Method Writing. During the break between regular classes, Jack teaches a series of classes that are open to anyone who has completed at least the first two levels. Classes for the “B-Side” run for 5 weeks and deal with concepts not covered in the regular Method Writing Levels. You might say, that the “B-Side” classes are a separate track not to be confused with the sequence of classes in the regular Method Writing program. When doing a “B-Side” class, you can choose from 4 different modules, and Modules #3 and #4 have multiple options. See below for the full curriculum.
- Module #1: BUILDING A CHARACTER
- Module #2: WRITING IN 3rd PERSON POINT OF VIEW
- Module #3: CREATING A STYLE: 13 DIFFERENT SEQUENCES
You can choose whichever sequence you prefer where we study and write in the prose styles of:
- Sequence #1: Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Marcel Proust, Henry James
- Sequence #2: Virginia Woolf, James Baldwin, Eudora Welty, and Samuel Beckett
- Sequence #3: Zora Neal Hurston, J.D. Salinger, Ford Maddox Ford, Lawrence Durrell
- Sequence #4: Four Southern Writers: Reynolds Price, Carson McCullers, Thomas Wolfe, Toni Morrison
- Sequence #5: Four More Southern Writers: Jean Toomer, Erskine Caldwell, Kate Chopin, Dorothy Allison
- Sequence #6: Four Other Southern Writers: Eudora Welty , Bobbie Ann Mason, Flannery O’Conner, Padget Powell
- Sequence #7: Four More Southern Writers: Richard Wright, Truman Capote, Flannery O’Conner, Walker Percy
- Sequence #8: Four More Southern Writers: Harry Crews, James Agee, Jesmyn Ward, Barbara Kingsolver
- Sequence #9: Detective/Crime Novel Stylists: James Crumley, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Graham Greene
- Sequence #10: Four More Detective/Crime Novel Stylists: Dorothy Hughes, Robert Parker, John D. MacDonald, Jim Thompson
- Sequence #11: Four More Detective/Crime novel Stylists: Thomas Harris, Dorothy L. Sayers, Wilkie Collins, Umberto Eco
- Sequence #12: Four More Detective/Crime Novel Stylists: Richard Stark, pen name of Donald Westlake, Jr., Michael Connelly, Mickey Spillaine, Andrew Vachss
- Sequence #13: Four More Detective/Crime Novel Stylists: Patricia Highsmith, Daphne Du Maurier, James M. Cain, Josephine Tey
- Module #4: Poets in Translation: in other words, POETS of 20th Century NOT WRITING IN ENGLISH:
- Sequence #1 – Four Contemporary African Poets: Titilope Sonuga, Nigeria; Wole Soyinka, Nigeria, Nobel Prize 1986; Keorapetse Kgositsile known as “Bra Willie”, South African Tswana poet, Poet Laureate 2006; Warsan Shire
- Sequence #2 – Four Modern 20th Century French Poets: Arthur Rimbaud, Guillaume Apollinaire , Jules Supervielle, Pierre Reverdy
- Sequence #3 – Four More Modern French Poets: Paul Verlaine, Paul Eluard, Paul Valery, Jacques Prevert
- Sequence #4 – Four Modern 20th Century Italian Poets: Cesare Pavese, Umberto Saba, Eugenio Montale, Rocco Scotellaro
- Sequence #5 – Four More Modern Italian Poets: Giuseppi Ungarretti, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Vincenzo Cardarelli, Salvatore Quasimodo
- Sequence #6 – Four Modern 20th Century Spanish Poets from Spain: Antonio Machado, Pedro Salinas, Rafael Alberti Merello, Frederico Garcia Lorca
- Sequence #7 – Four More Spanish Poets NOT from Spain: Peruvian poet Cesare Vallejo, Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, Mexican poet Octavio Paz, Chilean poet Nicanor Para
- Sequence #8 – Four Modern Women Spanish Poets from the Americas: Gabriela Mistral, Chile, Nobel Prize; Alfonsina Storni, Argentina; Julia de Burgos, Puerto Rico; Excilia Saldana, Afro-Cuban
- Sequence #9 – Four Modern 20th Century Russian Poets: Anna Akmatova, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Marina Tsvetayeva, Yevgeny Yveteshenko
- Sequence #10 – Four More Modern Russian Poets: Osip Mandelshtam, Boris Pasternak, Sergei Yesenin, Andrei Voznesensky
- Sequence #11 – Four Modern 20th Century Greek poets: George Seferis, Odysseus Elytis, Yannis Ritsos, Constantine Cavafy
- Sequence #12 – Four More Modern Greek Poets: Nikos Kazantzakis, Angelos Sikelianos, Dinos Christianopoulos, Miltos Sachtouris
- Sequence #13 – Four Modern Poets from Scandinavia: Tomas Transtromer, Rolf Jacobsen, Edith Sondergran, Nelly Sachs
- Sequence #14 – Four Modern Poets writing in German: Rainer Maria Rilke, Bertolt Brecht, Georg Trakl, Paul Celan
This module will focus on the poet’s work, style, political outlook, and critical ideas that inform these poets’ work. You can take any of the modules in either the Monday class, which meets from 11am to 3pm, or the Wednesday class, which meets from 2pm to 6pm.
Take the class that fits your schedule best, they’re both the same.
Classes will be limited to 12 people in any 3-hour period.